CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE (1/2 kg)
1. Margarine Butter or Oothukuzhi Butter – 70gm
2. Condensed Milk – 200 gm
3. Maida/ All-purpose flour – 120 gm
4. Cocoa Powder – 20 gm
5. Baking Powder – 1 and a half teaspoon
6. Baking Soda – Half a teaspoon
7. Water – 100 ml
8. Vanilla essence – few drops
9. Caramel or Black Jack or chocolate sauce – half a teaspoon
10. Icing sugar – few spoonfuls
11. Whipped cream
12. Gems/ Cherries/Chocolate chip cookies – topping
- Bowl – for mixing
- Double blade blender/ Hand whisk
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Weighing scale
- Baking tin
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius or preheat the pressure cooker on a high flame (after removing the whistle and the casket and the bottom must be covered with sand or crystal salt for about an inch and there must not be even one droplet of water inside) for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix Butter and Condensed milk in a bowl and beat with a hand whisk or a double blade blender (which is the best option) till the content multiplies as froth and turns a pale white.
- Add Maida or All-purpose flour and then sieve Cocoa powder, Baking powder and Baking soda into the same bowl for about 5 minutes till a smooth non-lumpy texture forms.
- Add Vanilla essence, Water and Caramel or Chocolate Sauce and blend it again for another 5 minutes.
- Smear butter or oil on the inner walls of the baking tin and dust it with Maida or all-purpose flower.
- Pour the mixed batter into the tin and place it in the oven. Bake for about 20-35 minutes (or until cooked).
- In another bowl, whisk the whipped cream with the icing sugar till the cream multiplies thrice and the gelatin taste melts away.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about half an hour.
- Knife the outer brown parts of the cake and cut the cake into half horizontally.
- Apply the whipped cream on the bottom half of the cake and place the top part in an inverted manner.Now smear the whipped cream on the rest of the cake.
- Fill a piping bag with the whipped cream, choose the desired nozzle shape and get creative!
- Place cherries or gems or any other topping of your choice and go amaze your spouse, would-be, parents, friends and office circles. Happy baking!
Tada! After baking!
(I’ve added choco chip cookies so that when I peel off the hard brown parts, it could be eaten as cookies! 😉 )
Temme how did yours turn out to be by commenting or mailing me personally! 😀